Cognizant Deadwood Policy : Employee of 21 years Terminated

This is a follow-up to the post “Cognizant : Raj Mehta’s Dead Wood Implementation – A Real Story

The transcript of a HR discussion below is to highlight

1. that for the companies employees are object to be used and thrown,
  2. how companies force employees to resign and avoid paying statutory benefits.

Before you read the transcript, my observations

1. When I had resigned (on two occasions) in past, the same HR team had begged me to stay and I withdrew my resignation on both occasions. Today my allocation cost has moved up, the project managers are selecting low cost employees over me to meet their profitability margins. Who and for whom such profit margin has been set? Have we become an object to be used and thrown as needed these companies?
  2. If I have been on the beach for an inordinate amount of time, who is responsible for it? I joined the company and after confirmation, it is the duty of the company to allocate me job and not to force me to resign to avoid statutory benefits.
  3. The only severance package for me is the 2 months notice period then why Cognizant announced that $36 million has been budgeted for it.
  4. Cognizant had asked me to resign on 15-March, which I declined, post which they staged all fake interviews, neutral hearing etc to terminate me. (Read Why this is Illegal?)

Background : I am called into a meeting with a senior HR person who has traveled from other city to meet me.

HR: I will like to hear from you about what is going on and what opportunities you may have been considered for
ME: I have applied for all the internal job openings that are available in the system

HR: Did you reach out anyone proactively?
ME: I have contacted all opportunity owners irrespective of the fact I match the job description or not.

HR: When was the last interview you attended?
ME: Last interview only and I was told that I would be underutilized for the role available

HR: I have read all your emails and wanted to let you know that we have run out of all the options in terms of roles and fitments and looks like we have run into a dead-end at this point of time, which my team has already informed you. Have been looking outside Cognizant for opportunities.
ME: yes.

HR: What is the response and progress?
ME: Its the same scenario, I am getting roles where I will be underutilized.

HR: Which is why we are saying that we are not able to fit you in any of the profile that we have and we need to close this amicably, good for you and good for us. We will give you two months of notice period to continue to search outside as well as inside, and if anything works out in the two months, anytime you can withdraw your resignation. Have you thought on this line?
ME: Sorry I didn’t get your question.

HR: We have to close this as we can’t have you on bench underutilized. The proposition I have for you is that you submit resignation in the system but continue on our payroll for two months which is our committed notice period, during which if something clicks internally /externally, you are welcome to withdraw your resignation and get allocated. Have you thought on these line.
ME: No I have not and I don’t want to even talk about resignation as it disturbs me. I don’t understand how you say that resigning is good for both Cognizant and me. You can only explain me. I don’t find it good for me to resign.

HR: Resigning is good looking at your ratings history. How it is even helping your career by staying in Cognizant when there is no opportunity for you.
ME: I had resigned in 1998 and in 2012 but that time Cognizant asked me to withdraw my resignation and requested to continue. Now you asking me……. (HR interrupted me)

HR: That was a different time. Now we are asking you to resign as you have been on the bench for an inordinate amount of time. My question to you is based on your own admission that you have not been used to your potential and you have been on bench for almost a year now, where are heading to?
ME: Resignation is quick and dirty solution and it is definitely not good for me and unless I am forced to do it I would not do.

HR: Where is the closure to this. How long this will continue?

The meeting ends and a follow up meeting was set on 29-Aug-18….

HR: So what have decided? Have you made up your mind?
ME: I have not got anything yet.

HR: are you looking out?
ME: yes

HR: why don’t you put down your papers and let’s close this.
ME:if this is the only option offered to me then I don’t have anything to say. This should not be the only option for me

HR: what is the other option
ME: 2 months compensation is not acceptable

HR: it is as per the T&C of the employment. Two months is either ways. Either you serve two months or we are liable for two month notice or we pay. We you are even thinking beyond that.
ME: I am not aware of any termination T&C. Pls show me the document now.

HR: it’s available online on onecognizant.cognizant.com. You should check yourself.
ME: My offer letter doesn’t mention any such T&C.

HR: there is no point challenging that.
ME: if you have any such policy, why are you showing me mercy?

HR: it’s not mercy at all. See I will tell you why I am having this conversation, if you put down your papers and we agree on the last working day two months from now or you take two months of salary you atleast will get a CLEAN exit, you will get service letter, experience certificate, you get credit for all work done. Otherwise we will have to take this through disciplinary action route, which means somebody who is not deployed / is unsuitable for existing roles, on bench for 1.5 years. Ths is HR head offer
ME: at this point of time you can say I am in denial mode, even if there is any such T&C, I am not willing to accept it. I would let go the two months of salary you are offering too.
I would stick to my decision that I told on the 1st day, if I am terminated as per the policy I will accept it.

HR: why? How will it help you?
ME: if I am not agreeing to resign as you are demanding me, you have complete authority to take action and terminate me as per the policy.

HR: of course we do and we do that. It’s not that you are the only individual that we will do.
ME: I will accept that Cognizant terminated me but I will not accept that I resigned because Cognizant HR thinks that I am a liability after 21 years of service, Cognizant being my first job.

HR: termination does not help you, I am just trying to make it more pleasant for us. You will have clean service records. You really want to leave Cognizant after 21 years saying that Cognizant asked you to leave.
ME:I would cherish that Cognizant terminated me because I was not of any use to them.

HR: are you very clear?
ME: yes

HR:if that is the case then we will move on to the next step which is called issuing a showcause notice, which records a lot of fact which you have to respond in writing.

The meeting ends with the HR team serving me the showcause notice. I declined to sign and left the meeting room.

– Fighting Senior Cognizant Employee

Permanent link to this article: http://new-democrats.com/cognizant-deadwood-policy-employee-of-21-years-terminated/

58 comments

Skip to comment form

• Shyamsundar on November 12, 2018 at 9:19 pm

2 month is not severance. It is the notice pay. As per law, severance has to be paid in addition to notice pay. Also other retrenchment procedures to be followed. Company think that they can terminate based on offer letter clause which is 2 month salary. For getting job, person can sign even i will be permanent slave for the company. Company cannot misuse the offer letter clause. But illegal companies terminate without any severance cheating employees worked for years

• Kasirajan on November 12, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Cool way to handle shocking reality of Forced resignation.

What sort of etiquettes are followed in name of profit margin?

• Manju on November 14, 2018 at 8:03 am

Great minds should apply for Government jobs to make India better

1. And you are a great mind or average mind? Are you in government job?

If you are ready to arrange government jobs for everyone, no one will complain.

• Manju on November 19, 2018 at 8:10 am

Great mind here refers to brilliant freshers seeking campus jobs

• Birendra on November 14, 2018 at 8:37 am

Of course money not growing on plant.
    If you are on bench since 1.5 years then there is lack of knowledge and you are not capable of doing anything because you thought you will take money without doing anything.
    If people like you will there in company then no company will grow.
    Make yourself capable of doing something else resign.
    You are nothing except big zero if you are on bench since 1.5 years.

1. What a wooden headed response you have given.

Do you even read the discussion? The management is deliberately not allocating project to the employee. The employees is ready to learn, but not allowed. That is the issue.

And the employee has put in 21 years for the company, that counts for nothing? What did the company make out of that work? Zero?

2. Sir,please Put some sense in to your mind before you talk and read the article completely please.how can you call someone zero!21years of experience counts for nothing?it’s the system that made him to stay in branch for 1.5yrs..because of experience..high margin has to be paid for him..one day you will be checked out then you LL realise it.thankyou for sensible comments on others

• Kanishka on November 14, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Hey Bindra I don’t know what is your skill set or how much capable you are…but stop writing shit here…if a person is on bench then it doesn’t mean that he is not capable of anything and the people who are billable are very capable…its just that the company doesn’t have the work or project managers doesn’t want to hire a Senior person because they are getting people or junior resources at less cost…so stop using your fucking mind into the matters which you don’t understand…if the person was so incapable then how he survived in the same company for 21 years?? And on 2 occasions company asked him not to leave….these are just shrewd/illegal tactics companies adopt when they think they have to reduce cost and they can’t do anything but fire employees…there should be strict laws against such companies and they should be penalised heavily for such acts against employees… assholes like you who doesnt value anyone’s work are spoiling the environment…and i am damn sure that you yourself are a piece of shit who is good for nothing and has no skills whatsoever and is only surviving by licking his superiors..

• Gary on November 15, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Seriously dude ? Can you please let knw everyone here wht are your qualifications and what do you do to upgrade yourself ? If you understand english and have your mind at place you will understand that its billing issue because this guy is at a senior position and its all because of profit margins which is true…get ur basics right

• Cognizant Employee on November 15, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Well Gary
        You asked for his qualifications, what is yours?
        Whatever be the qualifications we all are selected by different IT companies to do work for their customers.

So how the question of qualifications come now?

We are Indians but we understand enough English to express ourselves.

• Prakash on November 16, 2018 at 6:14 am

This person served for 21years. Even if he is on bench, company should have gone through proper root of separating him by giving severance package. Company could have given notice to him say one year back with 6 months severance package, that would have worked for both.

• Birendra on November 14, 2018 at 9:17 am

Its not government job where if you won’t do anything also no problem.
    If you are capable enough then get into project.
    It doesn’t matter how many years you worked.
    I saw people having 25+yrs of experience, still learning and working. Why companies will always provide training?
    You yourself learn, and show your capabilities.
    1.5 years on bench really matters.

• Sam on November 14, 2018 at 10:08 am

Problem is not with skilling but with company intentions and cost of employees. If everyone starting same salary like $60K then company would never remove seniors. Most of Indian IT companies are still body shoppers and what they get from client and what they pay to associate has to be maximize. I don’t thing you would need special skills to do the work these IT companies are doing.

• Jayesh on November 14, 2018 at 2:32 pm

After last voluntary and involuntary termination, Cognizant has released promotion list yesterday and they have promoted in masses. The newly promoted director+ are worried that it would now be their turn to exit.

• Vaishali on November 14, 2018 at 10:07 am

Tenure in the organisation doesn’t matter, one should be employable by upgrading oneself consistently and being flexible depending on the need of the organisation ! Additionally, Fortune companies like Cognizant can always generate opportunities for people on bench … may not essentially be billable assignment s but projects that can help the organisation and also give an opportunity to the employee to demonstrate their competency! Additionally companies can look at reskilling such resources by leveraging on their strong domain expertise , and if nothing works out then as a last resort part ways !

• Jayesh on November 14, 2018 at 10:51 am

Usually people from non-technical backgrounds talk about re-skilling and technology upgrades because for them learning is an exercise which they themselves are unfit to take. They are incapable of taking government job either and therefore make such derogatory comments about employees of government organizations.

Money don’t grow on plants anywhere. By the way, how do we know that the employee was paid for these 1.5 years on bench? It’s not clear from the article above.

• Avinash on November 14, 2018 at 11:35 am

It seems Cognizant HR is reading this article and has got its team here to justify the act of termination, which will fall flat in the labour court. They gave similar arguments for my case in the court and was not accepted. (Un)fortunately the judge is government employee and Cognizant HR will have to work with them only, like they are doing for Chennai land bribery case etc.

Cognizant is forcing people everyday to resign. They have not followed the termination guidelines in this case too. The victim here deserves credit for standing against force resignation and bringing it out as an example for others. Else people don’t even accept that illegal termination is happening in IT industry. I guess it a MeToo for IT Employees and such acts by IT companies should be shamed publicly.

• Monica on November 14, 2018 at 12:05 pm

All said and done who is at loosing end? The employee or employee? If the employer does not want loyalty why is employee trying desparately to stick to same company. he can get another job with another company and move on rather than being insulted like this and asked to resign.1.5 years on bench, for whatever reason, the answer is clear to both the sides of the discussion. This publicity will act more negative for cognizant or the employee already on bench? His life he should decide

1. The employee is also part of the organization and helped to build it to the current level. Company should decide why they are disloyal to their employees.

• Vandana on November 14, 2018 at 12:19 pm

The HR is demanding resignation from the victim and threatening to hold his papers if not accepted. I am wondering the trauma one would have gone through during this period.

• Vishal on November 14, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Cognizant or companies like it just need cheap labor to implement projects for their customers. They have grown by replacing expensive employees Overseas (USA and Europe) and are now doing in India itself.

• Shyamsundar on November 14, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Is company terminating based on employee being in bench is legal – Refer this article – http://new-democrats.com/law-says-termination-letters-by-cognizant-wipro-tech-mahnidra-clearly-illegal/

A MUST ARTICLE TO READ

• Jayesh on November 14, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Excellent article. Hope employees read this and don’t succumb to Companies pressure tactics. For one of my friends fighting his case legally, the court has asked IBM to reinstated him with full honor.

• Ashish on November 14, 2018 at 1:57 pm

This terminated Cognizant associate has very smartly handled the situation and collected all the evidences of forced resignation. He also seems to have had a good stint at Cognizant, except for the last 1.5 years when HR pressurized him/her to resign and they are now showing it to prove that there was no role. I have reasons to believe that this person would not be an underperformer. Perhaps Cognizant leadership team has over committed to investors and now the company is terminating those who didn’t accept VRS, by colourful exercise of power.

• CTS Employee on November 15, 2018 at 3:00 pm

I really feel sorry for the employee who given his sweat and blood to bring CTS a 16B US$ organization during his best days.

But look at the irony, the employee had been terminated with 2 months salary and Raj Mehta got 1.2mil US$ in cash/stock with 9.3 Mil US$ worth restricted stock because he wanted to quit ( Economic Times)
    This company in going from bad to worse, and this is also reflected in the continued decline of share prices.
    The top management has no connect to the ground and a coterie culture starting from top prevailing the DNA of CTS.
    Most of HR seniors did not have proper HR qualifications and they becomes active whenever retrenchment happens. But again they are encouraged by the senior management else they would not even dreamt of such behaviours to employees.
    Not sure even the top management has any stand now to be in their chairs.

• Uttam on November 15, 2018 at 3:14 pm

They are spending $36 million on paying the bouncers they have hired in their HR team, on their travel, lawyer fees, court fees and maybe other undisclosed expenses. They lured me by paying me 6 months salary and I got trapped. I regret that I resigned under pressure.

• Cognizant Employee on November 15, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Check livemint , ET and times of india- you will find CTS had already spend 60Mil for legal fees to protect 3-4 CXOs in Chennai Land Scandal.

In CTS everyone talks Ethics and they really don’t mean it by every means

• Prateek on November 15, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Sad to see how companies are treating old employees. High time government comes into action and brings in a Labour protection act

• Manish Wali on November 15, 2018 at 6:37 pm

If such is the case, How can anyone think of joining Cognizant for long term? Even employees will start taking it as a option where they can hop, get while and then leave.

• Cognizant Employee on November 16, 2018 at 9:15 am

Cognizant attrition rate is 20percent +, half of them are involuntary. Specially up to the levels of AD.
      THIS IS HIGHEST in the industry .

Check the quaterly results

• Adv. Rajesh on November 16, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Pressuring employees to resign amounts to mental harassment. In the transcript the HR is repeatedly demanding the employee to resign. I would suggest the victim to file a criminal case against the HR personnel and a damage suite in the civil court. I can be contacted for any legal help.

• CTS employee on November 16, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Employees are putting lot of efforts by sacrificing their personal lives to make the company grow faster and company is making profits and acquiring more and more companies. Employees are getting nothing except the salary which is also below average when compared with cost of living. Company is promoting people as long as they are on the project to retain the customer base. When the project is closed, the same promotion is a hurdle for them to allocate the new project because the employee is a Senior leadership role and their Customer profitability will be less if they take them into the project. Stupid policies. If they can’t make the profit with a senior management roles, why to promote? On top of all these, they don’t want to pay the severance. What kind of ethics they are following? I am a Senior manager and was released to bench 5 months back. Worked in US, UAE and for UK clients for around 14 years. Reached out to many Directors and above level for the requirements but few says, I am a Senior manager and many didn’t even responded. Now HR is forcing me to resign else they will initiate termination at the back end. It’s mental harrassment everyday.

• Cognizant Employee on November 17, 2018 at 8:56 am

But trust me, in many cases HR has initiated back-end resignation. So be careful and ensure fee simple strategies,
      1. The moment you get any notification from Exit management system, raise a GSD saying you have not done it Nd followup every day till the resignation is revoked.
      2. Write email to your HR with copies to all your early managers and all the people you know on bench.

While I have done the same , but start looking out as this can only give you some additional time but finally you have to go out.
      Even you get a project chances are they will give you MS and take y6out on performance grounds

• Cognizant Employee wants to leave on November 19, 2018 at 6:51 am

Very good suggestion for employees when auto-resignation are triggered. Such a shameful that non-revenue earning HR team are harassing technical teams. Dooms days are around.

• CTS employee on November 16, 2018 at 8:41 pm

I have been on bench for 5 months and recently attended an interview with one of the clients. It was positive and I am waiting for the official confirmation from them. Meantime HR is forcing to submit the resignation in spite of telling the HR that I am waiting for the feedback. I served the company for 13+ years, handled many clients, won some customer proposals just because of me. Hence I was forced to withdraw the resignation few years back when I resigned. Now since I am a senior manager, nobody would want to allocate the project because of the profitability. And HR harassing mentally by forcing to submit the resignation. Not sure why and how they are targeting me. I know another Senior manager who is on bench for more than 8 months and they didn’t even had any discussions with him. For sure, I am going to labor court if they terminate me

• Ndlf it wing on November 17, 2018 at 8:26 am

You contact our union members. Have discussion with them. Collective bargaining is the most powerful tool which we know and biggest challenge is we are hesitant to opt for that.

• Cognizant Employee on November 17, 2018 at 8:59 am

The other SM+ you are referring to, may have some Godfather in CTS.

So employees like you and me have no such luck.
      I have responded in the earlier comment and if you try that you may get some extra months like me, but we have to go out

• Cognizant Employee on November 17, 2018 at 9:01 am

The other SM+ you are referring to, may have some Godfather in CTS.

• CTS employee on November 17, 2018 at 8:54 am

I will be go with this employee of 21 years. Having an audio recording of the HR discussion. Can reach out to me for the copy

• Terminated Cognizant Employee on November 17, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Do not resign under any circumstances and let them terminate you. Look at some of the comments above from the HR team – without knowing technology they will insult you saying you have not upgraded yourself, with their highest attrition rate of 40% they comment on loyality, being most insured they will threaten you of UNCLEAN exit. Trust me, it’s easier to get a job outside on your merits and facts than giving false reasons for resignation.

Cognizant does not have any termination policy, registered with the labor court, that they can use legally to terminate senior employees aging on bench for whatever reasons. They are exploiting the notice period clause because employees are resigning under pressure.

Do not RESIGN under any conditions. Don’t sign on any paper. Ask them to communicate in writing. Cognizant can’t hold your experience letter, service letter, pension, gratuity etc

• Cognizant Employee on November 19, 2018 at 10:18 pm

How to reach you?

• Anshu Agarwal on November 19, 2018 at 12:40 am

I want to know how many cases are filed in the labour court against Cognizant for such illegal termination.

• Cognizant Employee on November 19, 2018 at 10:17 pm

To be honest, don’t know, as we are not united, so common repository is not there.

But if you do some research in Google, you will find some.

• T. SRIDHAR on November 23, 2018 at 11:41 am

When we are adding value to the organisation , the organisation will take care of us. When our value adding goes down, if the
    organisation continues to take care of the non value adding team, the organisation can’t grow.

When we are paid well, I suggest that let us save a good amount by cutting down unwanted expenses.
    As all we know, value of any asset gets depreciated in time.
    To avoid that , let us improve our knowledge and educate us in many expanding fields — ahead of the organisation requirement.

Pl note- Company will never want to retrench a person who is value adding. Cost adding persons to be removed so that organisations will grow.

Every day we are to run to be in our professional life in the same level. If we stop our running, we will be thrown out.

• Cognizant Employee on November 26, 2018 at 9:30 pm

Agreed to your running word specialy, Cognizant can now become a marathon organizing company sir.

And the share price also going down at a speed including market capitalisation. I assume you know or understand that.

I hope you are not saying that the stock evaluating people are also useless and not adding values.

Your article is a good time pass

• Vandana on November 26, 2018 at 11:37 pm

I am shocked to see such a reply from T. Sridhar, Executive Vice President, 25+ years with Cognizant. He intends to says that we should kick out aged / sick family members who are not adding any value in the family by not working 14-16 hours a day, unlike other young members are doing.

Isn’t it exploitation of both
      1) young generation by making them work 14-16 hours a day (but only log 8 hours /day in their record keeping system) and
      2) terminated sr programmers who are unable to continue extended hours beyond 8 hours /day, on continuous basis (forget incentive).

• Jayesh on November 27, 2018 at 11:44 am

No it is not exploitation in Cognizant way. This is how they are in business. If you are getting paid well by Cognizant, start saving money as Sridhar has suggested by controlling your expenses. Don’t you see how Cognizant delay paying you the incentives. They actually earn interest for 1-2 months by holding employees incentives. Grow up fellas…. Hahahaha

• No More with Cognizant on November 27, 2018 at 3:31 pm

I had quit Cognizant the day I saw the CEO Francisco D’Souza addressing its manager+ employees at offshore by showing a raspberry pi he had bought and the hello world program he had written. He was explaining that programming is so easy that anyone can do. It was so mean of a CeO of a technology company, their knowledge about programming, and how they treat their programmers. Obviously they will terminate cost adding emp. Shameful!!!!

• Avinash on November 27, 2018 at 11:38 pm

It is exploitation. In fact Cognizant in my opinion is a body shopper. Maybe worse than that. They are unable to sell old bodies so they only want fresh ones. Why did they wait 1.5 years in this case? Building pressure to get the employee resign?

• Uttam on November 27, 2018 at 5:36 pm

It’s a technology company only for the coteries within CTS. These coterie only know how to stay ahead by improving their knowledge and educating themselves. CTS runs (marathon…. Hahaha) few internal programs to show their client and external world that they work on niche skills too. Otherwise they only have support work or some development projects on outdated technologies.

• Dipali Sarkar on November 27, 2018 at 11:42 pm

Yes it is a very bad company. They forced my husband to resign within 4 hours, after they served false notice. My husband went to office in the morning as usual and returned in the afternoon with discharge letter. 4-5 HR people forced my husband to submit resignation in their laptop in a conference room. My husband is completely innocent. He has not done anything wrong. They made him scapegoat. My curse will be for the owner of the company and the HR people. We are a middle class family. They have ruined our and children life.

• Archana on November 27, 2018 at 6:12 pm

This is very scary business model. In fact Cognizant in my opinion is a body shopper. Maybe worse than that. They are unable to sell old bodies so they only want fresh ones. Why did they wait 1.5 years in this case? Building pressure to get the employee resign?

• Mukesh on November 29, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Twenty years back when I couldn’t find a job in IT industry, I had settled with one in merchant navy. It was known that we would have to retire early as sailing after 40+ is difficult, and therefore we planned things accordingly.

I am certain, CTS management is cheating its employee by such illegal termination. On one hand they are hiring cheap young graduates without any skills, other hand they are throwing Sr employees after using them. No other industry uses and throw their employee like this.

I am glad I didn’t join the IT industry. My best wishes to the terminated employee

• Another one on December 8, 2018 at 9:13 am

What was mentioned in the showcause notice? You could also serve them a showcause notice asking them what efforts were made by them to ensure that you have marketable skills. Secondly, you know what the meeting was about, why attend it? You could have just asked them to email whatever relevant information they have to communicate to you. Instead here you have HR asking you about your job search. When times are bad in a company people in the job market tend to keep away from resumes from that company. Saw that in case of both Satyam and Tech Mahindra. Same might be happening in your case as well.

• No Deadwood on December 9, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Very good observations. I remember CTS had instructed its hiring managers not to take any Satyam employees in 2009, after their financial fraud. I am experiencing it today. Senior employees are left to die in a gas chamber here inside Cognizant, and outside we are unable to find any job.

• Nitesh on December 9, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I am representing a group who have decided to support this terminated employee of Cognizant in all possible ways to meet his legal expenses. Without salary, we realize that it will be so difficult to fight a $16 billion company. Please help reach this terminated employee.

• Captain Mukesh on December 11, 2018 at 12:02 am

I will also join your team to support such cause.