Truly historic moments don’t come with their own drum beats, onlookers need to cheer and announce them to the world. Members of NDLF IT Employees Wing created and witnessed such a moment at the union meeting on July 15, 2017 and we hereby cheer for it and announce it to the world.
Yes, that day office bearers and executive committee of the union were elected from among employees of India’s leading IT companies such as Infosys, TCS, CTS, Wipro and others. A few other momentous decisions were taken, the repercussions of which will reverberate through Indian IT industry in the years to come.
Mr. Shyam Sundar
Vice Presidents :
Mrs. Vasuki Srinivasan
Joint Secretary :
This is indeed an important milestone in the efforts to organize the 4 million strong IT/ITES workforce in India. IT companies having pan Indian presence, it is important to form employee unions all over India. Such efforts are underway in IT hubs like Bangalore, Hyderabad, Coimbatore, Pune, Kolkata and NCR.
- In Bangalore, NDLF IT Employees Wing supports efforts to organize and register a union.
- In Coimbatore NDLF IT Employees Wing is formed.
- In Hyderabad and Kolkata, there are active groups of IT employees keen to start unions under the guidance of NDLF.
NDLF IT Employees Wing was formed on January 10, 2015 with Mr. Karpagavinayagam as the Organizer. During the next two and half years the union won important victories for IT employees. One such effort culminated in Tamil Nadu government acknowledging that
- all labour laws are applicable to IT industry,
- IT Employees are free to form unions and file grievances with labour department.
Thus, two years of sustained hard work by the team led by Mr. Karpagavinayagam under the guidance of NDLF state committee, opened up legal avenues for IT employees. Now they are able to
- file grievance under section 2A of Industrial Disputes Act against unfair dismissals,
- form and register unions in various states,
- seek collective bargaining rights
- file petition under section 2K of Industrial Disputes Act.
We are confident that the recently elected office bearers will take over the torch and scale new heights in the battle for democracy in IT sector as well as play a leading role in the fight for democratic rights for all sections of society in our country.
Keep watching this space for more developments.