- Wipro’s Layoff Plan : Senior Employee Prepares to Fight
- Views and Law : Terminations not Legal, can be Challenged and Overturned
- Wipro Band Intertia : Senior Wipro Employee Continues Fight – The Next Step
- Senior Wipro Employee questions Wipro HR head on Job Cuts
- Senior Wipro Employee about the contribution of IT Employees
- Asked to Resign by HR? : Senior Wipro Employee on How to Handle It!
- Wipro’s Layoff Plan: Senior Employee Prepares to Fight – 2 Months On!
- Senior Employee Explains Latest Layoff Practice by Wipro
Read Wipro, Cognizant Layoffs – Next Steps in 7 Q&A first.
We call upon all Wipro employees to join hands to fight the Band Inertia plan.
We call upon all IT Employees to take a stand and join the struggle against corporate profit hunt at the cost of employees.
Please join New Democratic IT/ITES Employees Circle.
Also read this article about the root cause of the current madness going on in IT sector.
I am senior employee of Wipro technologies working in Information technology for more than 20 years. Wipro is planning to do mass layoffs and this message is an insight on what is happening as part of this.
Wipro has bands like WASE & WISTA (Higher education undergoing students working in projects), A2,A3,B1, B2,C1,C2,D1 and D2 where A2 is the lowest and D2 is the most senior positio.
Starting from 2016, Wipro follows quarterly appraisal model. As part of appraisal, Wipro has 5 ratings called Outstanding/Exceeds Expectation/ Highly valued contribution/More contribution expected and Unsatisfactory contribution. Wipro now introduced a concept called Band inertia as part of appraisal system.
The logic of band inertia is as follows:
1) If a person is in same band for 7 years, he/she will be part of band inertia. In this case, performance of the employee is not considered and directly HR is asking managers to mark More contribution expected to their employees.
2) Even if employees in the project, they will be asked to move out of the company.
3) Primary target of Band inertia is people in Band B3 and above (Senior people whose experience is more than 10 years).
4) Target is to give 10% MCE ratings including people in Band inertia. It is expected 50000+ employees are above band B3 and target is to make 5000 people move.
5) The main problem here is if we have 1000 people in one band, only 50 positions is available for next band promotion. So on an average in 7 years, 350 people will be promoted and remaining 650 people will come in Band inertia
6) Wipro as part of Q4 press conference state that 600 people will be removed as part of performance appraisal and it is less compared to other organizations like CTS. But in reality, Wipro is also targeting to have same number of people to be fired.
7) Wipro beat estimates of industrial experts this quarter on revenue and their profit margin increased considerably. Being an employee for close to 2 decades, I feel this layoff plan called Band Inertia is not correct ethic. That is the reason, I am bringing this to everyone’s attention.
8) When I joined Wipro, we have employees strength of 30,000 people. In these 2 decades, Wipro has expanded mutiple folds on employee strength, revenue, profits but unfortunately senior employees who are part of this growth are considered as overweights.
I did not get a call from HR so far and I may get the call anytime. I am definitely planning to fight against this act of Wipro and I hope NDLF will also support me in this journey
– A Senior Wipro employee
NDLF – IT Employees Wing announces the formation of New Democratic IT/ITES Employees Circle (NDIEC) for co-ordianting activities of employees in IT/ITES sector all over India. We will organize employees working in different companies in various locations so that they can synchronize their activities. Please join New Democratic IT/ITES Employees Circle.